[Kde-pim] How to update the akonadi storage format of KABC::ContactGroup?

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu May 16 22:17:49 BST 2013

Hey,

I want to replace the serialization format of KABC::ContactGroups, which is
currently a custom xml format, with vcard, as it is also used for contacts.

The primary reason as mentioned in the other thread is that I want to switch
contact references from akonadi item id's to UID's.

As it seems to be difficult to do that with the current format, it's probably
going to be cleaner if all contacts are migrated to the new format, and in the
process it's easy to resolve all akonadi item id's to UIDs.

What I don't understand though is how such a migration would look like.

I can extend KABC::ContactGroup with the necessary methods while maintaining
binary compatibility, and I can extend the vcard serializer to support
KABC::ContactGroups. But how would I migrate i.e. a Kolab Resource to the new
format, and can I somehow drop support for the old format before KDE5?
Because otherwise it's going to be a bit of a mess anyways as we have to
support links by akonadi item id and by UID...

If we can migrate all uses of KABC::ContactGroup, we can assume afterwards
that all serialized groups contain UID's as references instead of akonadi item
id's resulting in clean code.

Cheers,
Christian