[Kde-pim] [FOUND] Re: Possible data loss: one-byte sized files

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri May 3 11:31:37 BST 2013

Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2013, 09:24:55 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2013, 07:56:33 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> >> How the massive mail loss during the mail folder move I tried with my
> >> fourth  migration attempt (see bug #319175) happened is still unclear to
> >> me, but I have a theory:
> >>
> >> I think at that time I set the spam check rule to all acounts, instead of
> >> just  the POP3 one, cause I saw it not being applied all the time and
> >> found spam mails without X-CRM114 headers.
> >>
> >> My theory is now, that during the move between the mixed mail dir
> >> resource
> >> to  the pure maildir resource, the mail filter agent called this filter
> >> rule for *any* mail that has been moved. And after a while the filter
> >> just started to produce these one-byte-sized mails massively.
> >>
> >> That might also explain the mail mail cannot be moved bug (bug 319238] I
> >> experienced recently. My theory here is: The filter is called twice, once
> >> when  mail appears in POP3 account and once when it appears in maildir
> >> account. And sometimes it just gives clashes then. I will try to
> >> reproduce by pressing Ctrl-J quickly in succession on one mail. At least
> >> this really seems to be a failed move without any data loss.
> >
> > No. At that time I haven´t created or imported any filter rules. It was a
> > from scratch KMail 2 configuration without any filter rules added. Thus no
> > spam filter rules.
> >
> > So that seems to be a different issue.
> >
> > Additionally finding: If I let the filter rules only go at incoming mails
> > from the POP3 account, lots of mails do not get filtered at all. But so
> > far also no cannot move mail errors, thus I keep it that way, select new
> > mails and press Ctrl+J on them.
>
> Can you please file a bug for this? I have no time for it now, but will try
> to look at it. Especially if it is filter related.

For my additional finding of filters restricted to POP3 not working (at all it
seems)? Yes, will do.

The data loss bug I reported at

Bug 319226 - produces 1-byte-sized files on failed move attempts while filtering
https://bugs.kde.org/319226

I am still at 33 one-byte-sized files. So mail loss seems to have gone with
removal of CRM114 filters. If you spend any time on filtering bugs, I´d say this
is the most important one of it.

I will rename its topic accordingly later on.

It appears that sometimes one of the CRM114 filters, I suspect the one is
called on every incoming mail and pipes the mail through the crm114
executable, is producting the 0x0a result.

Its most important as it causes data loss. Additionally I´d like to have my
spam filtering back.

Its all in the bug report, including exported filter rules, except the CRM114
setup. But I´d provide you with my setup privately, in case you are willing to
have a go at it. (I can share is publically, but minus the training database
files, which may contain private content.)

Thanks,