[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu May 2 08:44:24 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-05-01, ianseeks wrote:
> On Monday 29 Apr 2013 18:42:55 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > ianseeks wrote:
> > > My take on it would be that it should have been a configurable option
> > > to use Akonadi etc or to keep PIM working as it used to
> >
> > That would require maintainers for the old and new pim applications. Take
> > a look at the number of active pim developers and think about if this
> > would work or not. :)
>
> I appreciate the number of developers problem and i sympathise.
> My guess is that Akonadi built-in is overkill for most of the users,
> especially non-developers and people who don;t have that much data where a
> few aptly named folders would suffice.  If it ran as a separate service
> that users could have a choice of using, I'm sure life would be easier for
> the PIM developers because they could separate the problems and keep
> concentrating only on PIM issues.

It runs as a separate service and indeed helps to seprate problems and allows
developers to concentrate on their specific problem domain.

One of the developer problems that Akonadi solves is data access by multiple
applications. File locking and similar techniques have proved ineffective,
letting only one process access the actual file data and communication with
said process is the only viable solution to fix this.

Another problem with similar direct user consequences is backend support. The
separation of data access from data presentation has allowed new developers to
bring in support for new backends and/or vastly improve support for exisiting
ones.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring