[Kde-pim] How does filtering work? (was: Re: [FOUND] Re: Possible data loss: one-byte sized files)

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri May 3 19:41:06 BST 2013

Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2013, 09:24:55 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2013, 07:56:33 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> >> How the massive mail loss during the mail folder move I tried with my
> >> fourth  migration attempt (see bug #319175) happened is still unclear to
> >> me, but I have a theory:
> >>
> >> I think at that time I set the spam check rule to all acounts, instead of
> >> just  the POP3 one, cause I saw it not being applied all the time and
> >> found spam mails without X-CRM114 headers.
> >>
> >> My theory is now, that during the move between the mixed mail dir
> >> resource
> >> to  the pure maildir resource, the mail filter agent called this filter
> >> rule for *any* mail that has been moved. And after a while the filter
> >> just started to produce these one-byte-sized mails massively.
> >>
> >> That might also explain the mail mail cannot be moved bug (bug 319238] I
> >> experienced recently. My theory here is: The filter is called twice, once
> >> when  mail appears in POP3 account and once when it appears in maildir
> >> account. And sometimes it just gives clashes then. I will try to
> >> reproduce by pressing Ctrl-J quickly in succession on one mail. At least
> >> this really seems to be a failed move without any data loss.
> >
> > No. At that time I havenĀ“t created or imported any filter rules. It was a
> > from scratch KMail 2 configuration without any filter rules added. Thus no
> > spam filter rules.
> >
> > So that seems to be a different issue.
> >
> > Additionally finding: If I let the filter rules only go at incoming mails
> > from the POP3 account, lots of mails do not get filtered at all. But so
> > far also no cannot move mail errors, thus I keep it that way, select new
> > mails and press Ctrl+J on them.
>
> Can you please file a bug for this? I have no time for it now, but will try
> to look at it. Especially if it is filter related.

I reported this as:

Bug 319289 - filter rules for incoming messages on pop3 account do not seem to
work
http://bugs.kde.org/319289

I admit, I am confused about that you can filter incoming messages from a
maildir account and a pop3 account.

How is this actually supposed to work?

For a POP3 account I think the concept of incoming message is quite clear.

But for a maildir account: What actually is an incoming message?

1) Something another resource stuffs into Inbox?

2) A mail file I cp into some "new" folder with in it?

3) A mail I move?

And what does happen if I just take the default to filter to all accounts? That
currently includes my POP3 account and the local mail folders maildir
resource. Will it call each filter twice?

I think this is in need of clarification.

I would really like to see a filter log. I would like to see in it:

1) What action triggered a filter

2) What decision did a filter take.

That would help tremendously with finding out whats going on with all the filter
related issues.

Thanks,