[Kde-pim] messagelist folder switching

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 13 23:46:54 BST 2013

One issue that has been bothering me forever in kmail2 is that it doesn't pre-
select the last "current email" in a given folder, when switching back to it.

The code for it is there, in Model::setStorageModel, which was apparently
intended to be called on each folder switch, but it's not (anymore?). It's
only called once, and after that the magic selectionproxymodel fills the
messagelist based on the folder(s) selected in the tree. So it's all "removing
rows and inserting rows", the Model class lost the concept of "now I'm jumping
to another folder altogether".

(There's also code for it in Model::activateMessageAfterLoading, but it's
never called, at all.)

My question is:

do we really need the feature where the user can select multiple folders in
the foldertree, and see in the messagelist, the messages from all these
folders combined?
Does anyone really use this?

I'm sure it was a nifty way of overusing proxies at the time, but when it
comes to speed and polish (such as re-selecting the last message), it seems to
get in the way (too much indirection in the code, and also, if multiple
folders are selected, which "last message" should we jump to?).

Any objection against getting rid of the Akonadi::SelectionProxyModel in
storagemodel.cpp? I'm not sure what the next step is, though. How to switch to
another folder in the messagelist. setRootIndex()?