[Kde-pim] [FOUND] Re: Possible data loss: one-byte sized files

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri May 3 19:53:40 BST 2013

Thanks for Cc. I read list, so please reply to list only.

Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2013, 15:43:33 schrieben Sie:
> > I am still at 33 one-byte-sized files. So mail loss seems to have gone
> > with
> > removal of CRM114 filters. If you spend any time on filtering bugs, I´d
> > say
> > this is the most important one of it.
>
> I wouldn't be so sure after such a short amount of time. For me filters work
> perfectly for weeks and then something happens which produces a big batch
> of broken messages at once. Then it works again for some time.
>
> Compare timestamps on your 1c files if the are close together.

I do not have recorded time stamps initially. But I looked now:

All timestamps are from yesterday afternoon and evening and correlate to my
postings where I reported the issue here on this list.

So I think, I am good to go for know.

Please elaborate what you see. Do you use filtering rules that pipe mails
through an executable, like I did?

I somewhat reached a stable state for now it seems. I just switched all the
filters to filter for incoming mails from POP3 account only, which basically
appears to have them not working at all (reported, see reply to Andras). To
easily Ctrl+A and Ctrl+J them after I deleted the spam mails - cause, well, I
disabled my spam filter rules - I let new mails flow into a folder called like
"aaUnfiltered".

This will work for now.

I am ready to cope with some inconveniences for a while.

But I will carefully monitor for data loss. I do not accept data losses.

I have set POP3 resource to keep mails on POP3 server 30 days. So I will have
some time to see whether I can get to a working for me setup. But since
rolling back to KDEPIM-1 may become more difficult with time, the next two weeks
will be most important for me.

Well an easy way to roleback could be to just give it that new maildir from
KDEPIM-2 after I restored those 33 mails from the server. It has still the old
index files in it. But then KMail-1 would take ages to update them - I had this
during first rollback. So it might be easier to just rollback to a synchron
state of maildir and KMail-1 configuration, cause then KMail 1 does not seem to
trigger a rescan of index files. And then have it redownload everything from
the server.

Well, I do hope another downgrade won´t be necessary.

Actually I remember having coped with mail loss or at least disappear from
view problems back in KDEPIM-1 times as well. Index file handling. Something
KMail 1 took index file contents for granted and just didn´t display mails that
were not in index file. But with KDEPIM 4.4.11 I have been really satisfied with
stability and robostness regarding mail data storage.