[Kde-pim] KABC Contact Groups

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed May 15 16:32:26 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-05-15, Christian Mollekopf wrote:

> We store contact groups in the vcard format (more specifically xcard which
> is the xml version of the vcard rfc6350). That is a vcard with the "kind"
> "group", containing a list of member.

Ah, that used to be the case also for the contact group predecessor(s).
Back then there was no official vcard field for that, so it used a custom
"hack" IIRC.

> > How do you deal with a contact not being in any contact folder of the
> > user saving/loading the contact group?
>
> We don't. The group either contains name/email pairs, or references.
> References consist solely of a UID, where the UID is an actual globally
> unique identifier, just as it's used i.e. in ical, and as mandated by the
> rfc.
>
> Of course the references are hardly useful if the corresponding contact is
> not available, which is ok i.e. in a scenario where users don't have
> access to all contacts due to shared folder etc. In such a case the
> reference remains simply unresolved, but doesn't result in dataloss as the
> client can still preserve the (dysfunctional) reference as it's just a
> uid.

Right, this is what I was interested in.

> My preferred path forward would be:
> * adjust kabc that it's compatible with vcard (use uid's and not item id's
> as references)
> * adjust all kde code to work accordingly
> * keep compatibility for existing uses which rely on the uid being an
> akonadi item id. That won't work with i.e. kolab, but it never has either.
> * Drop all uses of the akonadi item id in the interface, and replace the
> storage format by vcard in KDE5

Contact group currently uses a vendor specific MIME type. If a newer version
of vcard can now handle that directly then we could probably switch to items
of that type and maybe provide some import/conversion/cleanup tool?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring