[Kde-pim] Support for efficient searching in akonadi (e.g. by UID)

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu May 16 16:47:48 BST 2013

On Thursday 16 May 2013 16.58:36 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2013-05-16, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > The two primarily used standards for PIM data, vcard and ical, both assign
> > a globally unique UID to each object, and naturally make references based
> > on them.
> >
> > Searching an item by UID, e.g	. to resolve such a reference, currently
> > involves parsing the payload of each item to extract the UID, which is
> > very inefficient.
>
> No, it is possible to directly search for UID.
> E.g. see Akonadi::ContactSearchJob Criterion ContactUid

Thanks for the hint, but that goes through nepomuk, meaning we can't really
rely on it working (not because nepomuk is not working, because the contact
may not have been indexed yet, because the feeders have been disabled, etc.).

I can use it for now, but I'm not sure this is a typical usecase we should
require nepomuk for... I mean, I'm all for nepomuk, but IMO it's useful for
stuff like "give me all emails I received from person X", and not for looking
at a todo hierarchy or for seeing which contacts are actually in a contact
group. Because in the former case I might forgive the system if it's not
working (especially if I have disabled nepomuk before), where in the latter
case I would have a bit of a WTF moment ;-)

Cheers,
Christian