[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

O. Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Wed May 8 05:36:33 BST 2013

On Tuesday 07 May 2013 6:59 PM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Dear Orjan Sinclair,
>
> On 2013-05-07 17:31, O. Sinclair wrote:
> > I want to state that to note that I am not a "joe doe". I started my
> > professional career with computers around 1982, before THE IBM PC.
>
> Coincidentally, so have I. Self taught software developer on the
> Amstrad CPC 464. Earned my keep as a software developer and later also
> did some IT solutions and support as a student through my own little
> company. Like so many of my generation. So I do remember the world
> before the internet. In fact I was running mail boxes for dial up for
> some time. Which is why I sympathise with your situation and can
> empathise.
>
> That said, the awesome thing about Free Software is that you can make
> it do whatever you need it to do. The emphasis being on you, both times.
>
> Kevin and myself tried explaining to you that the world we live in is
> dramatically different from yours. That does not invalidate anyone's
> personal experience. I believe you that you hardly ever see any tagging.
> Your users probably have very different problems, I can imagine. But
> please accept that Kevin, myself and others are living in a different
> world, as well, though, and our experience is no less valid.
>
> In our world, tagging is important, and IMAP is the default and primary
> protocol, for many reasons, including the omnipresence of the mobile
> platforms.
>
> Since Kevin and myself live in that world, that is where our attention
> goes first, just like your attention is focused on your own situation.
>
> Naturally everyone here would like to make KDE PIM rock solid and
> robust and superfast for every single use case. And yesterday.
>
> But then none of us has the problem of infinite time and resources at
> their hand.
>
> So both Kevin and I would love to make KDE PIM do not only what we need
> it to do, but also what you need it to do. But in reality we need to
> start at the problems we encounter in the world we live in ourselves
> because then we have a chance to also get around to solving your
> problems for you.
>
> You are welcome to help us do that, by the way.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain. For the first time in a long
time I get a feeling that possibly I could be "wrong" with my thinking that
pop is superior to IMAP or for that matter Exchange. At least you explained
why it matters to you.

Well, I will soon have the option of using an IMAP account as my "main
account" businesswise so I will give it a try.

And I do file bugs when I find them.

kind regards
Orjan Sinclair