[Kde-pim] coding-style for KDEPIM

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Mar 7 16:19:32 GMT 2013

On 7 March 2013 15:26, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2013 11:26:43 AM Guy Maurel wrote:
>> As discussed at the KDEPIM meeting, Berlin, 3 March 2013, all the files of
>> KDEPIM will be reviewed to follow the coding style. This will be done over a
>> long time, directory after directory, for each of the rules.
>>
>> I opened a new URL for that:
>>    http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdepim_Coding_Style
>>
>> This is still in construction.
>> Please, have a look to my proposal and comment it.
>> Any suggestions, fixes are welcome.
>>
> Guy,
> We already have a coding style page at
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Development/CodingStyle/Korganizer
>
> So you can copy that in and make changes as needed.
> Then remove it.
>
> I do object to the 4 space indent level. I like 2 better.
> especially if we keep to a 100-char line length limit.
>
> I need to change Krazy checker accordingly.
>
> Why can't we do one big astyle change all in one go?

To fill in a few details, the decision was taken to get our style as
close to kdelibs and Qt as possible to remove the barrier for new
users and contributors from the Qt world and kdelibs.  It's also going
to be a requirement for KDE Frameworks 5 inclusion where we want to
move many of the libraries.  Personally, having to remember all the
small style differences between Qt, kdelibs and kdepimlibs is annoying
and frustrating and creates rework for me.

It was also decided that changing style will only be done with the
agreement of each library's maintainer, for example David can opt not
to have the KAlarm libraries converted.  However it is preferred to
move to kdelibs style.

Finally, there was some mention that it can't be fully-automated as
there are many sections of code where it would be dangerous, such as
over-the-wire protocols, so all changes need to be checked and tested
before committing.

Cheers!

John.