[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Mar 7 19:13:13 GMT 2013

Am Sonntag, 3. März 2013 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
> Am Sonntag, 3. März 2013, 12:43:44 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> > So, everyone, please think which are the parts that utterly destroy
> > user experience to the point of making KDE PIM marketing impossible
> > and then send them.
>
> Although I could understand that this will not be added to the list,
> simply because it sucks up a lot of resources and is likely to fail for
> a lot of users nevertheless:
>
> - automatic import of kmail1 set-ups, including accounts, filters etc.
>
> "Migration failed" is a common reason why people do not move to kmail2 in
> the first place.
>
> Following that is "akonadi takes ages to import/index/changing to my
> email folder with 50000+ emails in it with Thunderbird is only takes y
> seconds"
>
> I hope all the issues with POP3 and filtering will be resolved now,
> otherwise that is surely a blocker for POP3 users of which there are
> apparently still quite a lot.

This is a stopper for Debian Qt/KDE team. Its one of the main reasons while
Debian still carries KDEPIM 1 for Wheezy as expressed on debian-kde
mailinglist.

And I think there should be *one* way to get the data into KDEPIM 2.

So either migration works or there is a import assistant for at least the
most important original PIM data and no migration.

I read often that migration can fail and users are adviced to recreate
accounts and import old data instead. I´d prefer that migration works, but
if that does consume to much resources, I´d rather like that it is disabled
(if it doesn´t work reliably) and there are helpers to make the import way
of getting data into KDEPIM 2 more feasible.

Thanks,