[Kde-pim] [RFC] Adding thumbnail photo entry to KABC::Addressee

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Mar 4 00:27:24 GMT 2013

On Sunday 30 December 2012 03:43:45 PM Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while working on the Facebook resource, I noticed that the friends' profile
> pictures that are stored are the full-size scaled-down profile pics from
> Facebook. It's useful to have the full-size pic for the contact details
> page, but it does not work very well when scaled-down (say 32x32px) and
> shown in list. Sometimes the original pics are so big that the scaled-down
> version is useless. Also it looks a bit worse when the profile pics are not
> uniform in the list (different pics are scaled differently, leaving
> whitespace on the sides or above/below).
>
> Today pretty much all the online sources of profile data uses the square
> thumbnails, which fit perfectly into the lists and looks much better. At
> least in the Facebook resource, we do have both the square crop and full
> profile pics available. The problem is we can store only one in Akonadi.
> Therefore I'd like to propose to add new field into KABC::Addressee that
> will store this square crop which will be used in lists as a "decoration
> role". The entry could be called "photoThumb" or "photoCrop" or something
> like that.
>
> The full picture would still be stored as well and would be displayed in
> the contact details page/view/widget. It would also be used where the
> square crop wouldn't be available or when it would be empty (for whatever
> reason). So the old data wouldn't be affected at all, they would stay the
> way they are right now. The resources would be adapted (where applicable)
> to store both pictures.
>
> What do you think?

I like the idea.
I would like to see the people photo's showing up in more places.
And as you said, shrinking down bigger photos usually looks pretty bad.

An implemetation I'd like to see is in contact's tooltips.
I'd like to have  hover over a contact and see a tooltip
with useful info about that person, as well as their picture.
Heck, maybe we could directly link to gravatar photos instead?

Anyway, a good idea in my opinion.

-Allen