[Kde-pim] Review Request 109265: Store collection paths instead of collection ids in filter configuration. Part 2/2

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Mon Mar 4 22:12:32 GMT 2013

Am Dienstag, 5. März 2013, 05:52:39 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 05:35:01 PM Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Question:
> > if we rename collection outside kmail how it will get collectionid ?
> > For example.
> > collection number 5 == foo/foo/bla
>
> If I was renaming folders I would expect filters to be invalidated and needing
> manual correction. I would have though that a general user expectation.

this morning I was almost going to ask:

if a user has filter target folder A,
then renames A to A.old,
then creates new A,

what does he expect and what does kmail do? I am sure this has heavily
been discussed years ago, I just wanted to be sure.

But then I saw an open bugreport 253000 about renaming a target folder
while syncing an imap account - the reporter expected mail to go into the
renamed folder.

And nobody objected. So I supposed current behaviour was already
wanted by developers in kmail1, 2010.

I would have liked the other way: If filter execution notices that the
target folder A does not exist, ask user once for new target folder with
the option to disable the filter. Put some intelligence in there: If a
full path is found with the tail of its path matching the filter path,
a parent folder or the resource has probably been renamed, so ask
if all concerned filters (show a list of them) should point to old or
new path or be disabled (referencing Laurents objection).
And never use collection id in the filter but always its full name
(unique resource name plus all parent folder names).

But that discussion is definitively too late now, I will be silent about it.

About the bug 253000 from 2010 with kmail 1.13.5 - I would not want to close
all old kmail1 bug reports, but wouldn't it be enough to keep only wishlist
items and things that might not be fixed with kmail2? If nobody objects
I would like to close this bug with wontfix and with a reference to kmail2
Same with 252974.

--
Wolfgang