[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Mar 4 15:41:25 GMT 2013

On Monday, 2013-03-04, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> Am Montag, 4. März 2013, 15:20:43 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > The db contains a cache and the cache can be cleared without affecting
> > the rest of the data in the db.
>
> how does an end user do that? How does he know what to do?
> I for one do not know, I would start removing things using
> the akonadi_console DB Console. But I would have to think
> about what is cache and what should be persistent. The table
> names are not really self explaining in that aspect - names
> like partcache instead of parttable would help (I like short
> table names).
>
> If this is your solution, then its usage must be plain simple
> and accessible from the kmail GUI. Otherwise people simply
> delete the database.

Right, hence Volker's question about use cases. If people see a need to clear
the cache then that needs to be implemented in some user facing tool.
While destroying a setup will obviously also get rid of data, it will
unavoidably also get rid of all data.

Even after more than a decade we still get the occasional user recommending to
other users to destroy setup, e.g. deleting .kde, reformatting and
reinstalling etc.

Pity but the only thing one can do about that is to suggest otherwise as soon
as one reads such things.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring