[Kde-pim] Marketing blocker

O. Sinclair sinclair at orionweb.info
Sat Mar 9 16:11:28 GMT 2013

On Saturday 09 March 2013 3:23 PM Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Saturday 09 Mar 2013 16:27:38 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > O. Sinclair wrote:
> > > KDE 4.10.1 on Kubuntu 12.10
> > >
> > > MAJOR: inivisible incoming mails
> > >
> > > one or more (most times one) incoming mail is indicated by mail notifier
> > > (systray icon). However in Kmail it is not seen.
> >
> > This needs some clarification. Do the mails not appear in the inbox, but
> > later appear *there*? That would be worrying. If you see in the
> > notification that X mails appeared in INBOX, but you can't find them in
> > INBOX, make sure they are not somewhere in another folder where a filter
> > moved them (e.g. in spam folders).
> > This is a known problem without a solution yet: mails are first delivered
> > to inbox and from there processed by filters. The filtering code and the
> > notification dialog gets signals about the mails being there. The order
> > of the signals is undefined, it might be that 10 mails arrive in INBOX,
> > from those 5 are moved somewhere by a filter. The notification might show
> > either "10 new mails are in inbox" or "5 new mails are in inbox" or
> > anything between.
>
> I see this too, in the summary view and in the folder folder list it shows
> that I have unread emails in a folder where they have been moved using a
> filter. When I go into that folder, there are no new emails to read. If I
> close and then restart KMail, those emails are now in that folder.
As Mark and Mantias both clarified this is mainly after filtering INBOX to
move to another folder. I can not say it is always like that though, I will
keep an eye on it now and try see if that is the case.

Mark explained the behaviour perfectly. Apart from restart it CAN work to
browse all folders you have - but not always. The error is not consistent and
I see no pattern  (like a certain filter and not another) but appears
regularly.

As I recall this has been happening since the filter remake in 4.8 (?).

The notifier (systray) in my case is set to show all new mail except for SPAM
folder and that works. Finding the mail can now be difficult however.

My worst case was finding a somewhat important mail several days after
arrival. The notifier had actually stopped flagging for a new mail, by
coincidence I opened the subfolder in question and suddenly a new mail
appeared both in the notifier and in the folder.