[Kde-pim] Implementation of KHolidays in Calendar

John Layt john at layt.net
Mon Jul 29 13:49:08 BST 2013

On 29 July 2013 12:54, Heena Mahour <heena393 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all ,
> I am working on qmlify plasmoids in Gsoc13 .I would like to know if you
> could suggest an approachable(a bit simpler though :p ) and efficient way
> to implement kholidays in my qml calendar .I am working with Mark
> Gaiser'calendar component .(It would be really a great help!)

Hi Heena,

It depends on what you mean by implementing KHolidays?  Do you mean
simply adding supporting for calling the KHolidays api to display
holidays?  Or were you thinking something more advanced?

The best way for plasmoids to use KHolidays is via the Calendar
DataEngine, same as the current calendar plasmoid does.  The docs for
that are at http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kde-workspace-apidocs/plasma/generic/dataengines/html/classCalendarEngine.html.

If you're wanting the qml component to be more generic and not just a
plasmoid then you will need to use the KHolidays api directly.  I've
never done qml, but I think you'd need bindings to do that?

Whatever you do, don't try read the holiday files yourself, they're a
mess and are slated to be replaced in 5.0 with something more modern
like json.

You can find some documentation at
http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/KHolidays and at
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Clock, the latter has documentation on
new features we'd like in the Plasma Clock/Calendar, such as being
able to add events to the calendar, the #1 most requested feature in
all of KDE :-)

Cheers!

John.