[Kde-pim] Terminology Change: "HTML" -> "Rich Text"

Marc Deop damnshock at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 18:42:08 BST 2013

On Wednesday 10 July 2013 18:58:47 Adrián Chaves Fernández wrote:
> I think that it is a good idea to change HTML to “Rich text” in order to make it
> clear for non-geek users that it’s the opposite to plain text.

Well, it's not the "opposite" :P

> If you were to support both HTML and RTF formats for entering rich text, you
> could always use “Rich text (HTML)” and “Rich text (RTF)”. However, if you only
> support HTML (especially if emails only support HTML for defining rich text) I
> would go ahead and call it just “Rich text”.

Who is to say we won't support rtf (the *real* rich text format) in the future? ;-)

> Users that do not know about HTML
> will understand, users that do know about HTML might figure out that the rich
> text feature for emails is achieved using HTML, and they won’t need to know
> that the email is written in HTML underneath anyway.

Well, from my own experience, I almost submitted a bug report about the lost of "html" in kmail. I guess it's not *that* obvious, is it? ;-)

> Saying the generic string “Rich text” is invalid because users might think it’s
> the RTF format is like saying that using “System Settings” as a generic name in
> GNOME is invalid because users might think it’s KDE SystemSettings.

I disagree. Labeling "Rich Text" something that is a different thing (html) is incorrect. It might be something we agree to use and accept because it'll be understandable for the average Joe, however, It's still "wrong" nontheless.

The System Settings is still System Settings. Be it the Gnome one or the KDE one.

Regards,

Marc Deop

PS: would it be rude to ask not to top post in the future, please?