[Kde-pim] switching distributions, but keeping KDE... how do i migrate my email?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Jan 4 10:38:48 GMT 2013

Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2012 schrieb salamandir:
> i am switching from kubuntu 12.04.1 to debian squeeze 2, but i'm keeping
> KDE,
>
> in the past, i have had considerable difficulty getting my email to
> migrate successfully when i upgrade, and i'm wondering if there is a
> "preferred" way to migrate/upgrade email that doesn't lose data in the
> process.

Oh, I only see this now.

Debian Squeeze *and* Wheezy has KDEPIM 1 as of 4.4.11.

Kubuntu 12.04 likely had KDEPIM 2.

So in this case you can forget about the Akonadi database for KMail for
example.

You can still pick up the mail and KMail from KDEPIM 1 may recreate most of
the metadata from the maildir storage or IMAP server, but I am not sure
whether that includes all metadata.

So careful there. And I bet manual stepts involved. Possibly even configuring
KMail from start, since AFAIK KMail 2 uses a different configuration file.

Ciao,