[Kde-pim] moving mails between maildir directories

Guy Maurel guy-kde at maurel.de
Sun Jan 20 17:18:46 GMT 2013

Hello!

I have a similar problem by moving mail(s), is it?
On Sunday 20 January 2013 13:3 8:34 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to make kmail/maildir a little bit less buggy.
> >
> > as a starter:
> >
> > using self compiled latest kmail/akonadi from master:
> >
> > having local folders outbox and A
> >
> > moving a message from outbox to A
> >
> > mail shows it in A but in the physical maildir storage the message
> > remains in .local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0/outbox/cur
> >
> > now if I refresh folder outbox, I have that message reappear
> > in outbox - but that is wrong - I moved it away.
>
> That definitely looks like a bug, although I cannot tell what is going on. I
> move mails often around and it works.
> You should check the different logs in akonadiconsole and enable logging of
> the akonadi maildir resource with kdebugdialog (and restart akonadi from a
> console) and see what is going on.
> As a last resort, you'd need to attach a debugger to the akonadi maildir
> resource and see step-by-step what happens.
>
> > Is there a reason that the maildir storage is not automatically synced?
>
> It should be, it should even detect mails or folders appearing in the mail
> folder and created by a different application, not KMail/Akonadi.
>
> > More problems with that when copying a message - in that case,
> > maildir folders only have it in the source folder but in akonadiconsole
> > I can correctly see  the message twice. Again, removing and rebuilding
> > the akonadi data base means the copied message will disappear.
> >
> > while testing this (I started with empty kmail folders, no settings,
> > no accounts), akonadiconsole repeatedly shows
> >
> > Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 0): Unable to retrieve item
> > from resource: <html>Invalid item retrieved</html>
>
> That also sounds like some bug.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't have too much time for now to debug akonadi issues, but
> try to get as much logs as possible, and if you have some c++ skills, debug
> into the code to see what is going on. I can try to guide you with the
> process.
>

> Andras
I can now reproduce it:
- create a folder Test_It under folder A
- logout
- login again
- move the folder Test_It from folder A to folder B
- move a message from "inbox" to folder Test_It

akonadi_console gives us the information:
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (39185, 1358354849.R894.castor) in
collection 8 added )
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (39185, 1358354849.R894.castor) in
collection 8 modified parts (PLD:RFC822) )
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (39185, 1358354849.R894.castor) from
collection 8 movedto collection 26 )
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (38742, 1358099836.R365.castor:2,S) from
collection 8 movedto collection 344 )
AgentBase(akonadi_maildir_resource_0): Destination folder is invalid: 'Error
opening /home/guy/.local/share/local-
mail/.inbox.directory/.Activ.directory/Test_It; this folder is missing.'.
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (38735, 1358012425.R867.castor:2,S) in
collection 8 modified parts (PLD:HEAD, PLD:RFC822) )

The "moved message" can be seen in Test_It.

=========================
- logout
- login again
- move the folder Test_It from folder A to folder B
- move a message from "inbox" to folder Test_It
akonadi_console gives us the information:
NotificationManager::notify ( Item (39187, 1358099836.R365.castor:2,S) from
collection 8 movedto collection 344 )

The message is really moved!

Are there any daemon(s) which don't get infomation(s) about the move of the
folder Test_It?
--
guy