[Kde-pim] GSOC Kontact Touch

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue Feb 26 19:41:08 GMT 2013

Tirsdag den 26. februar 2013 18:56:21 skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 18:42:16 Anders Lund wrote:
> > The way dialogs are implemented with slide-in pages instead of tabs is not
> > working very well, it is confusing and unintuitive to use in my
> > experience.
>
> "Dear $DEITY, please do not bring the plague of tabs to Plasma Active."

I'm not a big fan of the tab system, but the current implementation of some of those
dialogs is worse. My main example is the contact editor.

> but yes, the workflow needs re-examining. we have 3 sets of tools at our
> disposal to achieve this and keep the Plasma Active design harmony:

Given a dialog with a lot of controls in it, like for example the dialog for a new
contact, there is 3 options:

1. long, flag list. Android apps typically works like that. Well organized, this is fine.
In android there is often expandable groups, to make overview of the basics easy.
2. Group the controls somehow - tabs or whatever you call it. The current
implemtation feels like vertical tabs. This ui is quite unusual, and a bit odd.
3. don't present them all at once. Hm, but what then...

> * column based categorized lists (Add Ons, News, Settings)
> * side drawers (Files, okular active)
> * in-line UI (page stack and friends)

I like the way the about application in PA works, but for grouping controls, there
would need to be global buttons to save/cancel.

An overlay drawer could be a candidate for this puropse. The drawer have one widget
that can contain additions to the main screen, and there are various implementations
of tabs combined with them (files, okular active) to organize content. Maybe okular
touch drawer could be a model for the contact editor?

> i don't think there will be a single silver bullet for all the ways dialogs
> and drawers are currently used in Kontact Touch, but mapping out the overall
> workflow using the above three approaches should be possible and result in
> improvements.

Anders