[Kde-pim] Favourites and Advanced Folders Links wrong after deleting akonadi db

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Feb 17 13:23:25 GMT 2013

On Sunday, 2013-02-17, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> If Akonadi is a metadata cache, I think, there should be no data loss
> except for metadata. At least I think its good if KMail detects when
> filter rules point to non existing (cause new id) folders.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are talking about a two-way data transfer
here, i.e. changes, removal or addition of things can be recorded if the
respective backend is currently not reachable (e.g. offline mode, disconnected
IMAP).

Removal of the intermediate storage will of course remove those changes so one
should always be cautious with doing that.

As you correctly point out there is also meta data being used, e.g. whether an
email is new or has been read, etc. Some backends are not capable of storing
those tehmselves, e.g. mbox has no way of storing those flags, maildir does
for most of them, IMAP with a server which supports annotations could probably
store all.

Obviously this is not a difference to the previous non-Akonadi setup,
unsupported meta data was also only stored in KMail's index data base.

Regarding filters: KMail is not involved in filtering anymore, filtering is a
facility that has to work independent of the user's UI choice for email.

I had actually assumed that the new filter system stores the filter rules
attached to the respective collection, but I seem to have misunderstood that.

> And possibly have the name or a hash of a name of a folder as a fallback,
> if the Akonadi id does not match anymore.

Or the remote Id.

> The other thing would be: Moving filter rules and favorites into Akonadi
> database. Then at leasts its all empty when one deletes the Akonadi
> database. And could be exported and imported with some tool that just makes
> a database dump.

My understanding was that folder meta data is already handled like any other
meta dara but I seem to have misinterpreted something there.

> The references from KMail filter and favorites from its configuration file
> to the Akonadi database are asking for trouble especially when just using
> 1, 2, 3, 4 as numbers. So either keep it all in one self contained place –
> the Akonadi database – or make references as stable as possible.

Yeah, the move from monolithic applications to cooperative components is
unfortunately quite time consuming and not all facilities are upgrade at the
same time.

So sometimes the situation for tinkerers who choose to manipulate the system
at a deeper level can run into situations where the system can not recover
fully automatically.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring