[Kde-pim] Did we reintroduce some performance issues with KDE 4.10?

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Fri Feb 1 16:35:11 GMT 2013

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2013, 23:23:17 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > Honestly, I think that it might be time to give up on trying to fix all
> > corner cases and just accept that this technology is so complicated,
> > weird
> > and unpredictable errors will crop up. It might be time to find solutions
> > to  this which do not require our users to nuke all their personal
> > settings
> > and loose data...
>
> I'm all for better solutions as well. Why has nobody else thought of this
> before?

I'd be happy if I only could really switch off that Nepomuk / Virtuoso part and
work in KDE without it. Currently you can try to disable it, but somehow that
part is not really taken apart. The background processes run nevertheless,
some parts still try to talk to them again and again...

So just provide a real switch and then take "the next years" to fix whatever is
wrong. In the meantime others can work without performance penalties on medium
sized machines until the solution is mature.

I'm happy with KDE in general, but assuming I have to worry with those strange
technology decisions *) for another two years, I probably try something else.

Regards,
Andreas

*) How many people do really use that part of KDE in a way which was not
posible with what we hat in KDE 3?