[Kde-pim] Dissertation project

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Dec 13 14:27:31 GMT 2013

On Friday, 2013-12-13, 15:53:35, Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan wrote:
> I'd love to do something PIM and Akonadi related, but my teacher does not
> understand what Akonadi is and its use and I'm not experienced enough to
> better explain it to him.

Well, from a Software Engineering point of view it is a SOA (service oriented
architecture) system. Profs usually love those :)

Its purpose it to provide uniform and data type independent access to local
and remote data, currently mostly used for PIM (personal information
management) data (e.g. contacts, events, emails).

One potential research idea would be to develop and/or improve tools for
developing and/or analyzing and/or debugging such a system.
I.e. using Akonadi as easily accessible SOA system on which to base the
research.

For example there is a developer tool called Akonadiconsole, which allows
different views on the system, e.g. which processes are running, what their
status is, etc., but it is currently very difficult to track how data flows
through the system or how tasks get dealt with.

Another, rather different, idea is to ignore Akonadi as a technology and do
something with the data it provides. IIRC Martin Gräßlin did that in his
master thesis, using Akonadi as an enabler technology to research SPAM
handling approaches.

Another angle would be research into user interfaces and/or workflows.
Current user interfaces and the workflows they enabled are very much data type
centric, e.g. there is an interface for contacts which can to contact stuff,
an interface for calendar which can do calendar stuff, and so on.

One could try different concepts of people centric interfaces, e..g accessing
contacts/events/todos/emails associated with people or groups of people (e.g.
teams, association members).

Or task centered interfaces, see
https://conf.kde.org/en/Akademy2013/public/events/15

Cheers,