[Kde-pim] KMail 4.11 does not work for me

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 18 22:09:01 BST 2013

Hi,

KMail 4.11 (openSUSE 12.3) is unusable for me. When I select a message
in an IMAP folder all I get is the "Retrieving Folder Contents, Please
wait . . ." message. On stdout/stderr repeatly
  kmail2(26325) MailCommon::Kernel::initFolders: Initialized and looking
for specialcollection folders.
is logged. When I try to quit KMail it does not exit. I have to use
  qdbus org.kde.kmail2 /MainApplication org.kde.KApplication.quit
to shut it down.

Because of those problem with KMail 4.11 I tried to use KMail 4.10 (self
compiled kdepimlibs, kdepim-runtime, kdepim) with KDE 4.11. KMail 4.10
shows the content of the messages, but newly read messages stay unread
and deleted messages stay in the folder. Neither switching folders nor
forcing an update (F5) helps. Only a restart of KMail helps. After the
restart read messages are no longer marked as unread and deleted
messages are no longer shown in the folder. IIRC this behavior occurs
with KMail 4.10 and everything else (including the Akonadi agents) from
KDE 4.11.

Using Akonadi agents and KMail from 4.10 with Akonadi 4.11 proved to be
worse because even after a restart of KMail read messages were still
marked as unread and deleted messages were not deleted.

Those observations seem to point to incompatiblities between Akonadi
4.11 and KMail 4.10. Of course, being out of the loop of KDE PIM
development, my assumptions could be completely wrong.

In any case, I'm back to KDE 4.10.5 now and everything seems to work as
well again as before my upgrade to KDE 4.11.0.

If you want me to debug anything just ask.

Regards,
Ingo