[Kde-pim] An intch for an Evernote client with Akonadi and Nepomuk

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 9 11:05:52 BST 2013

On Friday 09 August 2013 10.53:18 Jinal Kothari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Questions:
>
> From my description, what are your thoughts on it?
> What do i need know?

Hey,

First off, great idea, it would be awesome to get something like this to work.

As a first step you could just write a resource that pulls the notes from
evernote and exposes them in the Akonotes format (see kdepim-
runtime/resources/akonotes). That automatically enables existing application
to use the notes.

For storing the tags, especially hierarchical, I'd suggest looking into this:
https://wiki.kolab.org/PIM-Item_Relations

It's an XML format to store hierarchical relations: tags, projects, topics, or
whatever you want to call them. This format can be used to store the tags
directly in the Akonotes format for akonadi-internal storage.

> Would some one be interested in getting involved in this process? I
> could use help even if just with non-coding aspects of the
> development.

I'm working on zanshin, a note-taking and todo-management application, and
would therefore definitely be interested in making things work together as well
as possible, even if you'd decide to create an additional notes only
interface.
I'm also working on the kolab backend, which supports notes as well (but no
tags yet), so it would of course be cool to have as much interoperability as
possible.

Of course you would be very welcome to help make zanshin suit your needs as
well ;-)

> I hope to use git. What would be the recommended server to use. More
> importantly, am I able to put this little project under some kde / pim
> umbrella? Or should host is outside for now.
>
> Long Term: How to get nepomuk to index. How to relate the concept of
> tags in evernote and those in Nepomuk. To best of my knowledge,
> nepomuk does not support hierarchical tag structures.

Akonadi provides an indexer that can index the notes automatically as they are
added by your resource. Afterwards they are available through nepomuk for
queries.

In zanshin we are currently storing all relations directly in the notes, using
the aforementioned format, as synchronization is still problematic with
nepomuk as primary storage for relations. So the approach could be:
* store relations with the note in the xml format
* let the indexer index notes and relations
* query nepomuk for lookups

If you want to be able to edit tags in nepomuk and synchronize that back
afterwards, we'd have to look into writing that information back from nepomuk.
I'd suggest doing that at a later stage and start with only editing the
akonadi item, and letting the indexer update nepomuk for lookups.

Cheers,
Christian