[Kde-pim] [Kde-pim-meeting] Time for the next PIM Autumn sprint.

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 13:19:39 BST 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 23 August 2013 00:42:51 Mark wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > the Red Hat office in Brno, Czech Republic is available for us. We don't
>> > have beer like kdabians but we have a football table too! :) We can have
>> > two big rooms which can be merged to one even bigger room, both with data
>> > projectors, some flipcharts and whiteboards, coffee and a nice view over
>> > Brno.
>> >
>> > *Quick summary*
>> >
>> > o Location:
>> >   - next to a tram station
>> >   - ~15 minutes by tram from city center
>> >   - hotel 5 minutes walk from the office
>> >   - night buses every 30 minutes - no need to walk from pub!
>> >
>> > o Hotel (that we usually recommend to visitors)
>> >
>> >   - 5 minutes walk from the office
>> >   - 46€/night for single room (incl. breakfast)
>> >   - 59€/night for double room (incl. breakfast)
>> >
>> > o Travel:
>> >   - direct flight from London Standsted or Luton to Brno Airport (then 30
>> >
>> >     minutes bus to city center)
>> >
>> >   - flying to Vienna Airport, then taking a bus that goes every 2-3 hours
>> >
>> >     from the airport terminal directly to center of Brno (~2 hours, 12€)
>> >
>> >   - flying to Prague, then getting across Prague to train or bus station
>> >
>> >     (~1 hour, have to change lines several times) and then by a bus or
>> >
>> >    train to Brno (~2.5 hours, ~8€).
>> >
>> >   - EuroCity trains Berlin->Brno, Vienna->Brno or Budapest->Brno
>> >
>> > o Other
>> >
>> >  - good and cheap beer :)
>> >
>> > If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dan
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Thank you very much for that very generous offer!
>> Jos was having some other options in Germany so i have to get back to
>> him to see how we stand there.
>> I'il come back to you once i know more and that will be as soon as possible.
>
> I'm a bit surprised to see
> http://kdeblog.mageprojects.com/2013/08/24/pim-autumn-sprint-searches-for-host-in-germany/ after Dan's offer. Especially the reasoning "most PIM hackers
> are living in Germany" doesn't match what I see in the Doodle poll. There's
> only 3/16 people on there living in Germany, and while I don't know where
> Michael lives, at least Thorsten and I live quite a bit apart, so the travel
> costs will incur even for a location in Germany. And from what I see above,
> Brno easily beats Berlin in hotel costs.

There might only be 3/16, but the potential is more. And that's why i
got the suggestion to keep searching for a place in Germany. But yeah,
now that i look at it again it might have been better to just accept
Brno as i got the offer.

> With the date moved to November after both Qt Dev Days now I can of course
> check again if our office is available, I just want to make sure we aren't
> still stuck in the past when KDE PIM indeed mostly involved Germans ;) That's
> luckily over, the team is much more diverse now.

How many German pim hackers are there anyway? Just curious about that number :)