[Kde-pim] Akonadi recursive collection copy?

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 13:22:03 BST 2013

I've been wondering whether it would be possible to produce a utility
to copy an Akonadi collection (or a subtree of it) to another
resource.  For example, I have my master address book as a local
collection (as a vCard folder) and would like to be able to use it
online as my Google contacts.  Currently I do this by exporting all
the contacts as a single vCard file and manually importing it at
Gmail, but would it be possible to do this by setting up an Akonadi
Google resource and then copying all the entries to it?  The result
would be a cheap (but also dumb) synchroniser.

Another possible application: migrating mail from local folders to an
IMAP server, or between IMAP servers - this can of course be done via
the KMail GUI, but it is tedious.  Yes, I know about imapsync and
similar tools, but doing this via Akonadi may eliminate it needing to
resynchronise and download later.

Would this work?  Is it just a matter of starting at the source root
item and recursively fetching each child, and adding it to the
destination collection?  Obviously this would only be meaningful for
collections of the same data type.

Or it may be even simpler to implement.  I've just noticed
Akonadi::CollectionCopyJob, which seems to do precisely that.  So is
it just a matter of a command line or a simple GUI wrapper for that?

If this is possible, then I'll start coding...

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Twickenham, UK                          jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk