[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

bhlevca bhlevca at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 29 15:30:27 BST 2013

Andras Mantia-2 wrote
> Point out the design problem and than we can talk about something, without
> it, sorry, this not more, but the usual ranting without supporting
> evidence
> of what is the problem...

Why did I expect a decent answer? I don't know, but this is just another
rude, mindless email answer defending a bad decision and refusing to see
that everyone is complaining about KDEPIM.

If you want a supporting evidence like code lines, you know very well that
it is very hard to give and would take time. I would rather rewrite the
whole thing if I had the time.

But,  If you take the time and cool down as I initially suggested, you will
notice that in my first message I suggested alternatives (the notmuch mail
approach) and I pinpointed the culprit: The large behemoth central database
based design that does everything and is the bottleneck. And I repeat,
although it is a nice idea, its complexity will bring you down if it didn't
already.

Last time I tried KDEPIM, although it was better, it was still unusable.
Try the "notmuch mail" with its blazing fast searches and then compare.

My complaint was a constructive one, it was not a rant as you said and I did
not want to blame anyone, but to raise awareness that people cannot wait
forever. I am a programmer myself and I know that complex designs can bring
down otherwise good ideas. I want KDE to succeed, but I think the akonadi
based solution was pushed to consumers in pre alpha stage and just harmed
the project.

As other suggested give people a choice to select their backends, even if it
is a flat file, or a way out.

Bogdan