[Kde-pim] Akonadi: single database design mistake?

bhlevca bhlevca at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 29 17:22:02 BST 2013

Andras Mantia-2 wrote
> That is why I said your mail in this form is no more but a rant, because
> you
> don't know what is the problem. What if it turns out the problem is
> communication between components? What if the problem turns to be in the
> *client* applications?
>
> Using databases behind them is just not relevant or might be not relevant.
> If you'd question the distributed design and the complexity of the system,
> that would be slightly better, but still too vague.

In some way you are right that I don't know what the problem is,  and
honestly how can I know if you guys have been fighting with it for such long
time. Therefore cause, although vague, undoubtedly, is complexity , but what
component is at fault is hard to tell even with the profiling tools.  The's
why I was suggesting a decoupled step by step approach, but I understand
your pain, it is hard to go back and if it is even possible. Refactoring the
design as a whole and component by component would probably be the way to go
(again vague, because I don't know the details), but this is how things
start, with an idea.

> And I'm sorry if I sounded rude, especially is I am *aware* of the pain
> users had and I know we have some issues to fix, but your mail was not

I understand that the frustration builds when everyone is hammering you.
Apology accepted.

Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help to get this thing going let me
know. I would love to have kmail back and I don't care too much about the
other kdepim components, although I like them too.

Bogdan