[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch GSOC Project - mentor needed

Michael Bohlender michael.bohlender at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 11 22:36:38 BST 2013

It is a bit thin on scope and implementation details.

> E.g. does this include folder specific settings UI, composer, attachment
> handling, address book integration/recipient editor, filter/search UI, etc.
>
> Maybe list a couple of example workflows that should be possible with the
> improved UI.

I updated my proposal with a concrete mockup and ugly but hopefully
descriptive kolourpaint drawings.
It is more like a rewrite than a little update so please give it a second
look.

This design proposal constrains me a little as I was hoping to be able to
experiment with the ideas of a task driven approach that float around the
Plasma Active project these days. But I can see how "I will do mockups and
play around with UI ideas. This will be great. Trust me" is not a good
project proposal.

@Thomas
I am really interested in your feedback on my "initial mockup" it is
basically a brain dump of what I was imagining so far. Is this something we
can work with? I have still some time to change it.

@Sebas
I didn't know OBS was that powerful. thanks for sharing. I will have to
learn about OBS try to set it up.

"Would it then not be better to have someone from PA be the primary mentor
for this?"

Thomas Pfeiffer is form PA but not a developer, so he can't be a Mentor I
guess. The code I am intending to write will sure look a lot like what we
have in plasma-mobile and declarative-plasmoids. I hang around in #active
for some time now and feel comfortable working with the PA guys so I
wouldn't mind getting mentored by one of them. But having someone with KDE
PIM knowledge who makes you aware of possible performance problems and can
help with questions regarding Akonadi is also really useful.

Any opinion from the PA developers on this?

Cheers

Mike