[Kde-pim] draft proposal

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Apr 6 15:06:18 BST 2013

Hi Marco,

On Thursday, 2013-04-04, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 04 April 2013, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Not necessarily the wrong list, it was listed as a KDE PIM idea last year
> > (with myself as the mentor) so kde-pim was appropriate as well.
> >
> > Since this idea has repeatedly shown to not get much interest from people
> > involved in workspace development I'd say we keep in on the PIM list
> > instead.
>
> I would keep the cc: on both for now.
>
> in general, commenting one the idea...
> good idea ;) only thing, this would need help from both us and the kde pim
> people, since i don't know that much the akonadi part.
>
> that said, i'm happy to give help to the plasma part.

I am wondering if this is not better be placed as a Plasma idea/project, it
will be mostly about the UI side of things.
I would be available to take care of help for all the low-level integration
pieces, e.g. checking if we have item models for certain things, etc.

> on the project, the thing that would be more useful probably would be a
> reusable qml import for accessing akonadi resources (so i guess models +
> some objects to cntrol stuff) then a notes applet that uses it.

We should have most models available, just not yet exported as QML types.

I tried to do a data engine once [1] but that doesn't seem the way to go for
exposing data, it needed all kinds of hacks to be usable by the Plasma applet
[2].

Which is why my suggestion would be to find a developer on the Plasma side to
be the primary mentor, since that person is more likely to know which approach
to use for what kind of data and then have the PIM developer (myself for
example) help locate and prep the data sources for the chosen approach.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] git at git.kde.org:scratch/krake/akonadiagents-dataengine.git
[2] git at git.kde.org:scratch/viranch/akonadiagents-applet.git