[Kde-pim] Akonadi & Billions Of NNTP Headers

Rohan Beckles rohan.beckles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 14:47:19 BST 2012

Hello --

I'm in the process of planning an NNTP binary download robot for KDE 4.x, something along the lines of NewsLeecher or Newsman Pro
(which are Windows applications).  My plan is to use the existing RFC822 Mail resource and the NNTP agent (if it exists, otherwise write one),
and feed the NNTP headers into Akonadi, so that the headers can be indexed and searched locally.

Question:  more than a few binary newsgroups have header counts reaching past hundreds of millions into billions.  Is Akonadi (or more
precisely its MySQL backend) capable of dealing with that many records, especially on consumer hardware? I'm assuming that the average
desktop has 4GB RAM and a single 500GB hard disk.

Many thanks,
--
Rohan Beckles