[Kde-pim] Nepomuk Feeder Improvements

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 28 16:35:16 GMT 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 02:31 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I have a question about caching. Do you mean that the feeder should cache
> > in memory all contacts and especially all headers for every mail?
> >

> Nope. When a contact is stored in Nepomuk, it is given a unique
> identifier
> of the form 'nepomuk:/res/some-uuid'. I would like to cache this uri for
> certain regularly used contacts, and headers.
>
> Each header is a separate object in Nepomuk, and has its own identifier.
> When pushing common headers such as 'Mailing List', it makes sense the
> cache the last 10 mailing lists identifiers pushed. That way Nepomuk has
> avoid the job of querying the database to see if an object exists and
> with
> the corresponding information, and finding its identifier.
>
> I hope this makes it clearer.

Hey,

I understand the intentions and how it's supposed to work, it's not
entirely trivial though and I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off
implementing the same feature inside nepomuk.
Since the cache would grow endlessly, we'd have to expire it's values
based on access, size and maybe also time, given the same data is
available in nepomuk, I think we could also implement the feature there.
Of course, by implementing the feature in the feeder we'd have some
additional information, such as which resource we actually want to try
caching, but given the level of intelligence the cache needs anyways I
think the cache would achieve about the same performance boost by just
caching everything (or a defined set of resources).

Do you think this cache could also be useful to other nepomuk clients or
is a very feeder specific solution?

Cheers,
Christian