[Kde-pim] Korganizer data lost forever ?? x_X

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Oct 11 16:12:24 BST 2012

Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2012 schrieb Andreas Beder:
> hi folks,

Hi Andreas,

> iam bit confused, it seems Korganizer (4.9.2) removed my data...
>
> i changed the location of my calendar from _nothing_ to
> /home/andreas/mycalc /home/andreas/mycalc and also
> /home/andreas/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics is now a empty
> vCalendar file.

First please read and understand

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
https://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

from Andras Mantia

Then you wrote that ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics is empty and that
may have been the original data location. My questions:

1) Did the calendar point to exactly that file before it "got" empty? Maybe
your ICS file has been elsewhere? You could try:

find ~ -iname "*.ics"

Was the calender using an ICS file at all?

2) Are there other ICS files in that directory? I at least have a std.ics~
as a backup.

Maybe someone else has any different idea. If you are sure that the
calender used that ICS file and it and each possibly copy of it are empty,
then I suggest replaying the file from a backup.

You do have a backup, don´t you?

If not, I suggest that next time you will.

I would be surprised if Korganizer from KDE SC 4.9.2 has truncated the file
to nothing. Cause I didn´t read anything regarding such a gross data loss
with KDEPIM 2 since a long time.

The truncation of the file could have been a result of Korganizer´s
interaction with the filesystem:

# KDE Sync
# Re: zero size file after power failure with kernel 2.6.30.5
# http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.xfs.general/30512
export KDE_EXTRA_FSYNC=1

There is a long discussion elsewhere on the net. Like in a Ext4 related
Launchpad bug report. I think I linked most of this to:

Bug 187172 - truncated configuration files on power loss or hard crash
https://bugs.kde.org/187172?id=187172

I am not sure whether above environment variable is needed, but AFAIK its
still needed for anything that is written by kde config framework.

I would suggest and bet that Korganizer / Akonadi does not need that
environment and would suggest and bet and hope that it does the right
thing and fsync()s properly before renaming the newly written file to the
existing one.

That said Ext4 should have a work around for the rename and truncate case
while XFS only has one for the truncate case. I think BTRFS has one for
the rename case only, but I am not sure about this.

Ciao,