[Kde-pim] Migration to KMail2 - feedback

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Sat Oct 13 18:44:51 BST 2012

Hi guys,

when I decided to switch to OpenSUSE 12.2, I knew I'd have to migrate to
KMail2. While it was a pain initially, now I'm mostly satisfied with KMail
4.8.5. (Of course I know, there are newer versions available. But those
packages showed some conflicts which is why I decided to go with this version
for a while.)

Some issues might be interesting. As KWallet hasn't been used before, I was
asked to create one to store the account passwords in it. My question is, do I
still have a chance to store some passwords permanently, but to be forced to
input some other passwords each time I use the related account?
I used it that way in the previous version. Now I'm afraid, if I use the
wallet, each password will be put into it unconditionally at the first usage.
Would be nice if someone could enlighten me here.

Further all migrations (three accounts on this box) went wrong. It may be
related to the KDE version. I helped myself be removing the created config files
and to start the migration in the manual mode. Then everything worked fine.
(But hey, who else knows how to do that?)

I had some mbox files in my local mail folder/resource. As they had ~20.000 -
30.000 messages, I couldn't really work with them. Sometimes the CPU was
hogged for >45 min without any result but an unresponsive KMail application.
It took me ages to move the files into a mail dir based folder. Now I can at
least work with KMail on a level which doesn't bother me too much.

So after all, I'm happy having only small drawbacks to what I was used to
before the migration. And I'm looking forward to the improvements in KDE 4.9
and on.

Best regards,
Andreas