[Kde-pim] Making Akonadi fit for embedded use

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Nov 1 16:47:11 GMT 2012

Milian Wolff wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 October 2012 10:29:27 Manuel Sput Nickschas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
> Hey Sput,
>
> <snip>
>
>> * A libakonadi-core (or -kde; I like the other naming better since it
>> conveys the purpose better) that is free of QtGui deps, only links to
>> tier1 libs from KDE Frameworks (e.g. kcoreaddons for KJob) and does not
>> require pulling in all the semantic desktop stuff. This library should
>> contain all the neat things required for writing agents, accessing the
>> server, and the models.
>
> Thats contradictory. Qt's Model/View library actually depends on a GUI
> application last time I checked. You may of course still run an app linked
> against QtGui on a console only server, as long as no actual widget is
> being created.

Some models are in GUI in Qt4, but most are not. The most problematic is the
qabstractproxymodel & co.

> Yes, this is pretty ugly, but needs to be fixed upstream. Though maybe
> someone already did this for Qt5?

A quick checks shows that those are now properly in the core lib.

So a real gui-less version will be possible only with Qt5. Still you should
be able to write gui-less app also with Qt4, but you will have to link to
libQtGui.

Andras