[Kde-pim] Adding Holidays

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Nov 19 22:06:47 GMT 2012

On 19 November 2012 11:32, David Narvaez <david.narvaez at computer.org> wrote:

> Some KDE users here in Panama recently made a little sprint to compile
> all holidays and important dates in Panama and would like to add it to
> the standard set of holidays shipped with KDE. Can I just commit the
> holidays file into libkholidays or should it go through review process
> etc?

Fantastic!  Normally I'd ask for a review or attach to a bug report,
but I've had no time for KHolidays lately, so like Allen says please
commit and I can review later.  But first run the unit tests to make
sure nothing is broken :-)

> 1. That there are several open wishes in bko about holidays to add. If
> useful, I can go through some of them and add those files in one pass.

Yes please :-)  Just be careful about maintaining quality, if possible
run the translations past the i18n team first to make sure nothing
naughty slips in :-)  Also make sure you have at least two sources,
one official local source and one in English for validation, and
include the English translation as a comment so future maintainers
know what it is.  Oh, and one commit per file please to keep things
clean.  And run the unit tests :-)

> 2. Apart from shipping it with kdepimlibs, there's no easy (i.e.,
> point and click) way to distribute holidays. The use of GHNS in
> KOrganizer is rather questionable since the list  it searches for is
> pretty much static. Maybe we can brainstorm a bit on how to improve
> this.

I have thought about GHNS downloads, we'd need to add support for
including locally saved files in the list, but it's not hard, just
define a folder under ~/.kde to scan.  The config and download could
go in System Settings, possibly under Locale.  We'd probably need a
way to validate and skip invalid files though, up to now we blindly
trust they are well-formed.

KOrgnizer does need work to enable multiple holiday regions like the
Plasma calendar (hint hint Sergio :-)

We've been thinking about an new XML file format for a while, and
drafted a couple of proposals, and some kind of micro-format
embeddable and clickable in a web-page had crossed my mind.  These
days we'd probably go for a JSON format instead, I hope to do this for
KF5 as a shared library and resource with Gnome / Evolution /
Thunderbired / etc.

There's some notes at http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/KHolidays .
I've also got a long TODO list somewhere :-)

Cheers!

John.