[Kde-pim] How to recover PIM information?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 21:20:40 GMT 2012

Kevin Krammer said the following at 11/07/2012 11:16 AM :
> On Wednesday, 2012-11-07, Dan Vrátil wrote:
>> On Wednesday 07 of November 2012 09:21:08 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>>> So my question is: how do I find and then import the PIM information from
>>> the backup disk so that I can use it on the 12.10 system?
>
>> vCard with your contacts is in ~/home-backup/.kde/share/apps/kabc/*.vcf

There are several empty files in that directory, but nothing useful.

I know that none of my contact files were originally in such a location, so
it's not obvious to me why kontact would make a copy and put it in that
directory rather than working with the original file. But then, almost
everything about PIM in KDE4 isn't obvious to me :-(

>> iCal with your events is in ~/home-backup/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/*.ics

Same comment, except that I know that some -- and possibly all -- the
calendars were remote... surely kontact wouldn't try to make a copy and store
it in the local hierarchy, would it?  In any case, there are no useful files
at that location.

> Contacts could also be in ~/home-backup/.local/share/contacts if the "Personal
> Contacts" backend was being used.

That directory is empty.

> Configuration for backends (Akonadi resources) is stored in KDE's config
> directory, in files named like the resource they belonged to.
>
> Look for files matching this pattern
>
> akonadi_*_resource_*rc
>
> in
>
> ~/home-backup/.kde/share/config

Ah!!!

OK, it looks like the calendar pointers are in human-readable files with names
of the form:
  akonadi_kcal_resource_<n>rc.

So I shall be able to reconstitute the calendar mappings from those files.

As to the contact address books, though, I don't see anything obvious that
performs the same function. Grepping the directory
~/home-backup/.kde/share/config for files containing strings that were in the
names of address books produces no hits.

So half the problem (the calendar half) is solved, thank you. Do you have any
more suggestions as to where the address book mappings for contacts might be
stored?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR