[Kde-pim] akonadi and continual disk activity

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:24:09 GMT 2012

Andras Mantia said the following at 11/16/2012 10:23 AM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> Andras Mantia said the following at 11/16/2012 08:30 AM :

>>> Probably the newly created data is being indexed, but this could be just
>>> a guess, unless you find out which process itself is doing it.
>>
>> How do I discover which process is responsible?
>>
>> There are two remote calendars, and about 3,000 contacts in the address
>> book, which doesn't seem like it should take very long at all to
>> incorporate into any kind of PIM system. Minutes of minor activity
>> perhaps, but not hours of continual thrashing.
>
> Well, top, iotop, turn off nepomuk, turn off individual akonadi agents.

I'm sorry ... I'm just an increasingly frustrated user trying to get back to
having a usable PIM. What is an "akonadi agent" and how would I turn them off
individually?

I'm truly sorry, but I didn't expect to need to know any of this stuff just to
maintain calendars and contacts, so please walk me carefully through *exactly*
what I need to do in order to provide some more useful information.

FWIW, I just truned akonadi back on. Instantly the hard drive started
thrashing, and the top five I/O processes are all mysqld processes that have
"akonadi" in their parameter strings.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR