[Kde-pim] KCal with KABC and maintainers?

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Thu May 3 11:37:27 BST 2012

Hi Mark,

I'm not really sure how far the sharing could go but there are a couple of
classes that could potentially be shared.

One thing to keep in mind is that KABC and KCalCore cater the needs of two
different RFC's, the iCalendar RFC for KCalCore and the vCard RFC for KABC.
So if logic is shared it must be done in a compatible way, respectively we
need to be able to store all the information within vCard and iCalendar.

I should also mention that there is an effort going on in the teleptathy
community to create a new library for modeling persons (I think it's called
libkpeople, Martin Klapetek is the one to contact). This library should also
help to model real world persons, which may have several "Contact Cards". That
makes it possible to merge i.e. the same person you have once on gmail, once
in a vcard and once in a kolab resource. I'm not aware in what state that
library is and how it is going to look exactly, but it *might* even be a
successor of kabc.

Last but not least, I'd like to avoid too close coupling between the two
libraries (kabc and kcalcore), I'm rather interested in keeping the
dependencies as low as possible (In the longterm I'd like to see a standalone
kcalcore library). If we had the shared classes in a pim-support library
(within kdepimlibs) on which both KABC and KCalCore depend I don't see a
problem though.

I think the bottomline is that this is going to need quite a lot of thought,
and we should first line out what benefits we actually get from such an effort.

It really don't mean to discourage you though, so if you can come up with a
couple of ideas how the situation could be improved, I would gladly work with
you on those. Note that I'm not a maintainer of any of said codeparts, so I'm
only speaking for myself. Also we need to stay binary compatible, so it's
probably more a KDE 5 thingy.

Cheers,
Christian