[Kde-pim] Status of akonadi_nntp ? knode ?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue May 8 08:13:15 BST 2012

On Monday 07 May 2012 11:31:29 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2012 11:18:33 AM laurent Montel wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What is the status of Knode ?
> > I saw a akonadi_nntp but no app used it ?
> >
> > Will it port to akonadi ?
> > It will merge to kmail ?
> >
> > There is not a lot of diff between kmail/knode about write mails etc.
>
> KNode is yet-another-application we haven't been giving much love or
> attention.
>
> Yes, KNode should port to Akonadi.
> Additionally, I'd love to see it merged into KMail.

During Akademy 2005 in Malaga we came up with a merge plan for KMail and
KNode, as they are indeed very similar (even more so today with KMail ported
to KMime). But then the KDE4 and Akonadi ports hit us and it got never
implemented.

In case you don't have the kmail-devel archive from 2005 around, here's the
relevant part:

> following up on the discussion we had yesterday evening, I went through the
> KNode code in order to create a list of features that are missing in KMail
> to provide us with some data for further discussions. So, here is what I've
> collected so far (in no particular order):
>
> - ROT13 support (reader & composer)
> - configurable headers in reader window
> - show number of unread/new articles in a thread in the header view
> - scoring actions: adjust score, color header view entry
> - using KDockWidget for the main view
> - async wallet support
> - composer supports newsgroups (obviously)
> - filters just hide articles (based on the scoring)
> - global/account-wide expire settings (including a preserve-threads option)
> - special group name squeezing in the folder tree
> - dnd for folders
> - special newsgroup stuff in the composer: cross-post warning, followup-to
> handling, etc.
> - mark cross-posts as read
> - article listing is permanently saved and not refetched every time (in
> contrast to online IMAP)
> - subscription dialog has special handling of group names to show group list
> in a tree view
> - three diffrent "access rights" for groups: posting allowed, moderated,
> read-only
> - group statistics
> - status bar entries for current group and filter status
> - handling of news:// urls (see knewsservice.protocol file)
> - fetch article by message id dialog
> - configurable memory amount for temporary article/group caches
> - config migration, migration of local folders (mbox)
>
> Some of these items can probably be dropped, others are also desireable for
> KMail.

Considering the amount of Q3/K3 code left in essential parts of KNode and the
general duplication of effort (its reader and composer are way behind on what
KMail can do), "just" adding group support to the KMail composer and using the
NNTP Akonadi resource looks like the *much* easier way to bring NNTP
functionality to KF5 (where the Q3/K3 parts will become a problem). We'd loose
the scoring system (I could live with that), but would gain all the KMail
features (e.g. the full crypto support, which would be awesome for Gmane).

Regarding the state of the NNTP resource, that was one of my playground
resources during the initial days of Akonadi development, since I knew the
NNTP protocol and requirements much better than e.g. IMAP back then. I don't
think a lot has changed since then. It's read-only (posting was waiting for
the back then not existing transport interface for resources), and I know that
Olivier Trichet had tried using it and found some performance issues when
downloading large group lists IIRC.

> Heck, I'd also love to see Feeds merged into KMail so we don't need
> Akregator.

Actually, long-term, I'd like to go even a few steps further than that, having
a single point to look at *all* my communication ordered by time or grouped
for a specific person, group, project, topic, etc, and including emails,
blogs, microblogs, chat, social networks, and whatever else is there.
Separating communication data by which protocol was used to perform it is just
wrong. That wont be a mutated monster-KMail though, but something new I guess
:)

regards,
Volker