[Kde-pim] Initializing IndexPolicyAttribute

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 11 15:54:57 GMT 2012

Oh boy, I should check for mails marked as TODO more often ;-)

On Monday, 2011-12-05, Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Sunday 04 December 2011 19:59:56 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > What I mean is that Inbox,Sent,Trash inside an IMAP resource is not
> > > marked as special collection. You can look at the attributes of the
> > > Inbox folder in akonadiconsole.
> > > So Akonadi::SpecialMailCollections::self()->defaultCollection(
> > > Akonadi::SpecialMailCollections::Inbox ); will return only the main
> > > Inbox
> > > for the local folder.
> > > As I see it is possible to register multiple collection as special
> > > ones, but this is not done atm.
> >
> > I see.
> > Then we have to find a way to correctly set the special collections
> > attribute.
> >
> > I guess the IMAP resource could always set the Inbox folder as Inbox, the
> > code handling identities should probably do the others.
>
> What is the definition of a special collection?  I infer that the local
> folders are there as a a set of collections with roles that are necessary
> to KMail running, but is that all?  I see that Constantin Berzan wrote the
> specialcollections code as part of a GSoC but don't see any high level
> documentation for it.

On the generic collection level a special collection is just marked with an
attribute containing a type specific identifier.
E.g. for mails such identifiers are "inbox", "outbox" and so on.

The code for the generic handling is in akonadi/specialmailcollections.h/.cpp,
the one for mail specific stuff is in
akonadi/kmime/specialmailcollections.h/.cpp

In each case there might be additional job classes.

The maildispatcher sets those attributes when it is the one creating the
default mail resource, the mail migrator does it when migrating KMail local
folders.

I guess the question is can the IMAP resource set respective markers on
certain collections or should a client like KMail do it.
An end user client might have less information (it does't know that a
collection is on an IMAP server), but it might have configuration telling it
which folder to use for which purpose (identify setup, etc).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring