[Kde-pim] Recurring entries in Calendars, with exceptions

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 19 08:50:02 GMT 2012

On Sunday 18 March 2012 10.21:10 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> David, thanks for confirming; I expect this is based on the notion of
> recurrence that is in RFCs. In principle, I assume that we could
> extend the EXDATE property with an X-param. Could the programming
> model for the RecurrenceRule be extended to support this? I guess
> korganizer would also have to understand the additional semantics, but
> being able to save and restore the data would be a first step.
>
> Kevin, as I hinted, I suspect this is how Exchange represents things
> internally. Certainly representing the innards in this way would give
> complete flexibility.

The standard way to do this in iCal is not to exclude & add a new Event, but
to make use of RecurrenceID. This allows to add an event, matching a specific
date of the recurrence-set using RecurreneceID, to change properties of either
only that occurrence, or also all future events if THISANDFUTURE is set.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.8.4.4

Excluding and adding a new event is a bit of a hack because you loose the
information that the event belongs to the recurrence.

Cheers,
Christian