[Kde-pim] Recurring entries in Calendars, with exceptions

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Sun Mar 18 01:50:59 GMT 2012

On Saturday 17 March 2012 23:33:31 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking into how Exchange handles exceptions to recurring
> Calendar entries, and trying to map them to KCalCore. The basic notion
> of having an Event with recurrences works fine, but the only support I
> see for defining exceptions is to addExRule(RecurrenceRule). This is a
> relatively poor fit for Exchange which support changes to the subject,
> location and all sorts of other properties. OTOH, an exception in
> Exchange has no ability to recur itself, which a RecurrenceRule can
> clearly handle.
>
> Roughly speaking, an exception in Exchange is a cut-down one-off
> Event, rather than a RecurrenceRule.
>
> Have I misunderstood how to use what is there, or are there any plans
> to change the way exceptions work to allow them to have richer
> semantics along the lines that Exchange supports?

Recurrence exceptions in kcalcore are simply date exceptions - they don't change the incidence in any way other than to remove dates when the incidence occurs. I haven't heard of any plans to change this.

There are also addExDate() and addExDateTime() methods to add individual exception date/times.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.