[Kde-pim] Recurring entries in Calendars, with exceptions

Shaheed Haque srhaque at theiet.org
Mon Mar 19 20:22:32 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 19 March 2012 08:50, Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 March 2012 10.21:10 Shaheed Haque wrote:
>> David, thanks for confirming; I expect this is based on the notion of
>> recurrence that is in RFCs. In principle, I assume that we could
>> extend the EXDATE property with an X-param. Could the programming
>> model for the RecurrenceRule be extended to support this? I guess
>> korganizer would also have to understand the additional semantics, but
>> being able to save and restore the data would be a first step.
>>
>> Kevin, as I hinted, I suspect this is how Exchange represents things
>> internally. Certainly representing the innards in this way would give
>> complete flexibility.
>>

> The standard way to do this in iCal is not to exclude & add a new Event, but
> to make use of RecurrenceID. This allows to add an event, matching a specific
> date of the recurrence-set using RecurreneceID, to change properties of either
> only that occurrence, or also all future events if THISANDFUTURE is set.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.8.4.4
>
> Excluding and adding a new event is a bit of a hack because you loose the
> information that the event belongs to the recurrence.

So, the idea is to "hook" the overriding entry to an instance of the
recurring entry - sounds interesting. Now, I'm probably not
understanding, but if we don't have an exclusion, then does the
Calendar program not show both the original instance and also the new
overriding entry? Or is it expected to have logic to do the right
thing here?