[Kde-pim] Kolab usage of kdepimlibs, kdepimlibs split

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Fri Jun 22 18:07:15 BST 2012

Hey,

For Kolab 3.0, we're trying to reuse some of the relevant kdepim
infrastructure also on the server, specifically:
- kcalcore
- kimap
- kmime
- kabc

We do have the problem though of the huge dependency chain pulled in by
kdepimlibs + kdelibs, as well as the problem of not being able to make new
releases of said (sub-) libraries.

Especially now in the beginning I have to add some fixes/new functionality, and
we need a way to get that on the server in the end.

The preferred way forward is pulling those libraries out of kdepimlibs, along
the lines of what is happending for frameworks, with only the dependencies
which are really required.

That would allow us to package & ship the packages we require for our target
platforms (which is eg Enterprise Linux 6 currently on kde 4.3 and qt 4.6).

Now I can imagine that this is something which is generally planned to be done
after frameworks is released (as we'd also rather have the strapped down
frameworks dependencies), but I'd be interested to learn how we can speed-up
that process and maybe have an intermediate solution, without it being a
completely separate effort.

After all we really don't want a fork or alike and want to work as much as
possible upstream.

So are there already plans, or suggestions in what direction such a task could
be tackled?

I'm at akademy with Jeroen van Meeuwen, who is our Systems Architect with
Release-Engineering skills, so it would be a good occasion to have a chat on
how to continue in that respect, and what we can do already now. If you're
interested/willing to help, tell me.

Cheers,
Christian

PS: I'm the same as chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm =)