[Kde-pim] RFC: Moving KWallet Password dialog into Plasma

Marcus Harrison marcus at harrisonland.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 17:17:40 BST 2012

On Friday 20 Jul 2012 17:58:04 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the problems around review request #105628 and getting KWallet's Password
> dialog properly raised above the window it is asking the password for just
> triggered a thought process.
>
> The main problem here is that $service ask for a password through
> $otherservice. This utterly fails because the $service is not linked
> directly to a window which the window manager would need to properly stack
> the window.
>
> Now if we think about it in most cases $service is actually a "system"
> service which can be considered belonging to the workspace. E.g. checking
> for mail, logging into your telepathy account and so on.
>
> Providing a password safe and asking for the master password is also a
> "system" service and should belong into the workspace.
>
> So here my idea: let's move the password dialog into the desktop shell. Have
> it as a so-called "persistent" notification popping out of the panel and be
> shown on top of all other windows till the user either dismisses it or
> enters the password.
>
> I think this would solve most of our current issues. There would be one
> place where the dialog is shown to ask for the password, it is visually
> clear that it's a system service which asks for the password and not some
> random malware and if several applications want to open the wallet this
> problem is also nicely solved by e.g. saying "Mail Dispatcher Agent and
> Telepathy need to unlock the wallet".
>
> So what do you think?
>
> Best Regards
> Martin Gräßlin

I thought about this as a prompt from both Gnome 3's instant messaging
notifications and the KWallet notification that pops up if the KWallet
dialogue is not immediately focused. I was thinking of doing something like
this by changing the KWallet system tray icon into a plasma widget that sits
in the tray, or something similar.

I still think it's a good idea, however it's implemented :)

Marcus Harrison