[Kde-pim] RFC: Removing and merging bugzilla components

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jul 8 14:49:37 BST 2012

Hi,

Volker Krause wrote:

> Filtering probably exists twice because we moved it out of KMail at some
> point. This is of course should be consolidated.

Indeed, might be the cause of the problem.

> I also agree that having internal (Akonadi) components causes users to
> report bugs in the "wrong" place, as they don't know which part is
> responsible for their bug. However, I don't agree with the proposed
> solution.
>
> Having shared components underneath the KMail2 product will fail as soon
> as you use a different application to read your email. Kontact for
> example. You of course know that this is nothing else but KMail2, but
> that's just as unclear to most users as the relation between Akonadi IMAP
> resource and KMail2 I'd guess.

Indeed, Kontact and its parts issue is somewhat similar. But for that I
don't have yet a real solution with our current tools, maybe again with
bugzilla links (if they are supported), so Kontact->Mail goes to KMail.
Actually Help->Report Bug already helps, as it uses the part's product.

> There is also the more fundamental question if Bugzilla is a user or
> developer tool. For a developer it's much more useful if the
> products/components reflect the actual technical layout IMHO.

I agree. And I tend to think bugzilla is first a user tool and secondly a
developer tool. It is our first interaction interface with our users. And if
we want quality reports and reports going to the right place, we should
focus on making it easily usable for the users. [*]
I know this opinion is not shared by all KDE developers. :)

> Indeed. In the same way we could link "Kontact/mail" to "KMail2" then.

As I see we all agree this solution would help. Can someone with more
bugzilla knowledge tell, is this possible?

Andras

[*] KDEPIM is not alone with this problem. I have *very hard* time for
reporting bugs to KDevelop. I'm always confused where to report them, even
though I have some knowledge of their internal structure.