[Kde-pim] KMail completion spams nepomuk, which isn't parallelized

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jul 23 21:39:26 BST 2012

On Monday 23 July 2012 11:53:25 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Monday 09 July 2012 19:30:59 Volker Krause wrote:
> > >
> > > Can we disable nepomuk-based autocompletion in kmail for 1.9, to reduce
> > > the chances of users ending up with an unusable kmail composer?
> >
> > IMHO yes.
> >
> > People on #nepomuk-kde seem to be working on optimizing these queries as
> > we speak though.
>
> Is this disabled?

Yes. Optimizing the queries didn't help.

On a very large DB, we can still run into very very long queries (30-45
minutes). In order to make this work we need to
1) not make the contacts DB that large (seems to be fixed, but doesn't help
existing users)
2) be able to cancel queries (missing in virtuoso), or at least to time-limit
them (missing in current virtuoso versions but seems to be coming?)
3) run queries in parallel rather than in sequence (nepomukqueryservice's
design needs to be redone).

> I have to make sure it won't show up as a new KDE PIM
> feature, then, in the announcement :D

Yep :)

> (too bad btw, I was looking forward to this feature)

Trust me, 30 minutes with a stuck composer window is not something to look
forward to ;)