[Kde-pim] RFC: Moving KWallet Password dialog into Plasma

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Jul 22 15:17:04 BST 2012

Am Freitag, 20. Juli 2012 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> I think this would solve most of our current issues. There would be one
> place  where the dialog is shown to ask for the password, it is
> visually clear that it's a system service which asks for the password
> and not some random malware and if several applications want to open
> the wallet this problem is also nicely solved by e.g. saying "Mail
> Dispatcher Agent and Telepathy need to unlock the wallet".
>
> So what do you think?

So I still see the likely cause of why I am asked the password?

I for one like to know why I am asked the password. When I see KMail
(still KDEPIM 4.4.5 here on Debian) or Konqueror I can usually answer that
question myself.

But sometimes – for example on logon with lots of apps to be started – I
see "KDE-Dienst" (kde service) or something worded like that wants to
access the wallet. And I wonder why I am asked that password – who is that
KDE service? I enter it usually cause KWallet can be quite nagging and I
just trusted that it would be a legitimate access, but I never felt
completely confident about that.

Thus I like to know what action of mine triggered the password request and
who want to access my wallet anyway.

Related to this I have a security question: Is there any risk that a
malware hides behind "Mail Dispatcher Agent" to get access to the wallet?

Ideally I think applications and service would authentificate with each
other by some secure way.

Thanks,